Monday, June 13, 2011

What's In a Name?

[insert obligatory Shakespeare quote]
(Please tell me that you did not have to click on the LINK to know what Shakespeare play I was referring too)

[start the blog post already]
        [well...okay then]

When embarking on this exercise experiment, I was surprised to find out how much studying was actually involved in order to be safe. Upon reflection, I realized that this wasn't all that surprising. No matter when new thing I may be starting, I should always (and you should too) find out as much about it before starting. Would you go rock climbing without learning everything you need to know first? I think not.  Following that train of thought, it would make sense that I do some studying up on weight lifting.

First, where would I find this information? Why my handy-dandy "Fitness for Dummies" of course. Although, now that I know there is a "Weight Lifting for Dummies" and that my "Fitness..." keeps on telling me that I should reference the "Weight..." one, I wish I had bought both of the books. Oh well.

Second, so what does this have to do with some quote from Shakespeare? 

There's a whole chapter in my "Fitness..." book that names, what, presumably, the authors think, are the "20 or so muscles that any conscientious exerciser should know" (p. 149).

What I Already Knew
  • Biceps
  • Quads (but not that they were actually called quadriceps)
  • Obliques
  • Triceps
  • Forearm
  • Gluteus Maximus (hehe)
  • Hamstrings
What I Did Not Know
  • There are so many more muscles that people target to work out! 
  • I must have known on some level about these muscles, but at a very small level
  • The names of the rest of the major muscles that people exercise that I'm sure that you do not want to know

Just when I began to feel overwhelmed with all of the things that I DID NOT know about weight training, I remembered why I love this book. First, it broke down all of the muscles into groups like "Looking Over Your Shoulders," "Getting Your Back," etc. It then breaks down each muscle group down into the individual muscles that are part of the group. 

Each muscle is then broken down in the following way:
  • Given name
  • Street name
  • Wherabouts
  • Job descrition
  • The training payoff
  • Special tips
  • Our favorite exercises
I thought this was the perfect way to break down  each muscle. I really learned a lot in this little study session.

The bad news: Now that I am learned in the muscle groups, and good exercises for each one, I have no excuses not to work them out in the gym.

Until my next post, farewell, parting is such sweet sorrow.

P.S. If you clicked on the second link, you totally deserved it.

2 comments:

  1. a muscle by any other name would still ache the same after a workout

    ReplyDelete