Wednesday, June 22, 2011

All you need is the perfect beach body

If a woman were to explore the inter-webs in search of, oh say, the perfect, women's fitness magazine, she would soon be waist deep in many brightly colored sites. These sites would be plastered with beautiful women smiling toothily at her with their perfect bodies scantily clad. This one has perfect abs, this one has toned buns, oh my this one has huge tits. Don't you want to be like me?
These sites would have a lot of Big, colorful, fancy wording aimed at these women to catch their attention. 


"How to Sculpt a Runway-Worthy Body"
"Bikini Body Workout"
"Look Cute in Your Swimsuit"
"Something about looking sexy for other people, cute snacks to eat, sex, make-up for your workout, etc."


Needless to say, I am quite disappointed in the websites I found when I searched for women's magazines. I never really saw anything on the sites that advocated for weight lifting. All of the articles were home-based workouts. I can't really put my finger on what bothered me most about them, because when I try, I can't blame them. I can't blame the magazines for being cute and sexual and focused on appearances. We made them that way.

Our society is so focused on being fit to be appealing when we should be focused on being fit to feel good; to be healthy. Although I started this fitness experiment because I do want to look good in a bikini again, there are more important reasons than that. I want to get fit so I can feel healthy again. I hate feeling lethargic and sick all the time. I hate breathing heavy for a couple of minutes after I slowly climb the stairs. How ridiculous is that? But mostly, I want to get fit again because I am worried. I am worried that if I do not feel young, strong, healthy, and comfortable in my body now, I never will. That thought is terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment